Accepting Imperfection

Sunday, February 16, 2014

I haven't posted on this blog in a very long time. As a writer, I think about blogging a lot, but I never get around to actually sharing my thoughts. This is mostly due to perfectionism. I look at other blogs with custom designs, beautiful photography and great prose, and while I find inspiration in that, it ultimately paralyzes me and I don't post anything.

The second reason I haven't posted since last summer is that I've hardly picked up my camera since then. I've snapped a few family pictures at birthdays and Christmas, but my camera is currently collecting dust in a closet.

I decided to post today because something author and researcher Brene Brown said about perfectionism during her Life Class with Oprah impacted me. She said:
When perfectionism is driving, shame is always riding shotgun. We struggle with perfectionism in areas we feel most vulnerable to shame...I call it the 20-ton shield. Here's what perfectionism really is. It's a way of thinking that says this: If I look perfect, live perfect, work perfect, I can avoid or minimize criticism, blame and ridicule. Perfectionism keeps us from being seen.
This sums up my whole creative life quite concisely. I love to write and take pictures, but because I am consumed with perfectionism, I either don't share my work or I don't practice my crafts.

So today, I am posting this imperfect post. My blog doesn't have some awesome design. I can't even come up with a catchy name for my blog. My writing is riddled with grammatical errors. But that's okay today and I hope I will allow it to be okay tomorrow too. And I hope that my willingness to be imperfect inspires everyone who lands here to be willing to be imperfect at something they really want to do.

Brene Brown has a book called The Gifts of Imperfection. When you think about it, accepting imperfection really is a gift you give to yourself. Because then you are free to do your best, but not being too hard on yourself if you don't "measure up."

2 comments :

Melissa Ashcraft said...

Thank you for sharing. Dare I say, it's PERFECT inspiration.

Denene said...

Thank you, Melissa!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground