How To: Create a Photo Storyboard with Pre-made Etsy Templates

Thursday, December 20, 2012

I know just enough Photoshop to be dangerous, and to be honest, I'm a bit lazy when it comes to creating templates or storyboards from scratch. Last week I shared my favorite shots from my 2010 trip to Paris and a quick tip on how I created the storyboard for that post. It was so easy and totally worth the small fee to purchase the template package.

As promised, here is a quick tutorial on how to customize a storyboard template in Photoshop. Note: I have Photoshop CS5.

Make a photo storyboard using an Etsy template:

1. Choose the template you'd like to use on your storyboard and open it in Photoshop. For my Paris food photo layout, I used this template with spaces for five photos.



2. Looking at your template in Photoshop, notice that each picture space is on its own layer. The layers tab will look something like this depending on how the designer created the template you're using. For the template I'm using, the designer named each layer to match the location of the photo (e.g. main image; bottom right). Here's what the layers tab looks like on my template:



3. I used my photo taken outside of Ladurée (yum!) as my main image. To add my image to that space on the storyboard, I clicked on the main image layer (it's selected when it's highlighted in blue) and then went to file > place and browsed out on my computer to select my Ladurée photo from my pictures folder. Once the image was placed, my screen looked like this:


Notice that the placed image now has its own layer (highlighted in blue above). Depending on how large your image is, you may need to scale it down a bit to fit better into the image box. Make sure to hold your shift key while scaling the image to keep it in proper proportion.

Try moving your image around while it's still overlapping the template to gauge how much scaling you'll need to do.

4. Next, right click on the image layer and select "Create Clipping Mask."



Once you have selected "Create Clipping Mask" you'll notice that you can move your image within the confines of the placement box. Move your image around until it's in a position you like. Tip: Be careful not to let any of the template box color show. In my case, if I moved my image too far up or down or to either side, I could see the blue color of the box. Once my image fit into the main image space, it looked like this:



5. Now simply repeat steps 1-4 to fill each additional box on the template. Save your finished storyboard as a jpg and it's ready to be uploaded to your blog. Tip: When saving your new storyboard as a .psd file, be sure to select "save as" so that you always have a clean template file to work from.

I ended up with this finished storyboard for my Paris post.

2 comments :

Kristina said...

Have you ever used Picassa? It's free. It's limited in terms of editing photos but they have a TON of collage options. I usually edit my photos in Photoshop (Elements) and then use the collage function in Picassa.

Denene Brox Photography said...

@Kristina: No, I haven't used Picassa. Great tip on the free collages! Thanks!

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground